Chicken Burgers and Chopped Garden Salad
This recipe is a powerhouse of possibilities. Not only is it a super easy, healthy family friendly dinner with juicy Chicken Burgers, that are full of flavour, and a Chopped Garden Salad, that is packed with veggies, it also has the potential to ease the rest of your week, with some food prep opportunities.
First up…the burgers! These chicken burgers are a family favourite, they beat store bought chicken burgers, by far, in both flavour and texture, they are easy to make using ground chicken and common pantry staples and they grill up quickly, making them perfect for weeknight meals. Let’s just say we have these for dinner…often:)
But it doesn’t end there…whenever I make these burgers, I double the recipe and make either Chicken Sliders or Chicken Meatballs with the other half. It takes very little extra time to make a double batch and I end up with sliders, meatballs or extra burgers that I can freeze or that are ready to go in the fridge, for lunches or a second dinner, later in the week.
Now for the salad – I often make a chopped garden salad to serve with the chicken burgers, simply because it allows me to get in some food prep, at the same time that I’m preparing dinner. I pull out all the vegetables from the fridge and start slicing and chopping. Some of the prepped veggies go in the salad, some go in zip top bags or containers (like my favourite “wheel of plenty“) and get put back in the fridge, to be used throughout the week. There’s even extra dressing:)
If I have a specific recipe, that I know I will be making later in the week, I will chop or slice the veggies accordingly, otherwise I cut them in a way that is suitable for packing in lunches, throwing in salads or roasting.
When it comes to toppings, these chicken burgers taste great with all kinds. Top them with the standard lettuce, tomato, onion and mayo, like I did here, or try something different like salsa and guacamole, or top them with whatever your favourite toppings are.
Whether you’ve just gone grocery shopping and have a fridge full of veggies you want to prep for the week, or it’s mid-week and you need to use up the veggies you have on hand, or it’s going to be a crazy week and you need some ready to grab and go food in the fridge, this meal will get the job done…oh and you get a delicious family dinner too!
- 1/4 cup of whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lbs (450g) ground chicken)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each - basil, oregano, parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch crushed red pepper
- 2 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup diced (1/4 inch) carrots
- 1/2 cup diced (1/4 inch) celery
- 1/2 cup diced (1/4 inch) cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced (1/4 inch) yellow and/or orange bell peppers
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Zesty Italian Dressing
- Preheat the grill: to medium heat.
- Prepare Burgers: In a small bowl mix together the breadcrumbs, parsley, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt. Place the ground chicken in a large bowl and sprinkle seasoning mixture over top, mix until just combined. Shape into 4 patties. Grill burgers over medium heat, on a greased grill, until cooked through, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F, about 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile prepare salad: For dressing, measure the olive oil in a 1 cup measurer, add remaining dressing ingredients and whisk well. To a large salad bowl, add all of the chopped vegetables and drizzle with 1/4 cup of the dressing, toss.
- To serve: Toast buns lightly on grill, if desired, and top with lettuce, tomato, onion and mayo, or your favourite toppings.