Chicken Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas
Last week I shared one of my family’s favourite dinners with you – Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa. Today I want to show you one of the lunches, that I love to make with the leftovers – Chicken Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas.
Quesadillas are an all-time favourite and make a quick and easy lunch, but they are also a perfect candidate for leftovers, because all the flavour (and time) that went into cooking the original meal, goes into the quesadillas. That means – a fast, but flavourful lunch, with very little effort (and that’s what it’s all about around here:)
These Chicken Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas harness all the flavour from the chicken which was basted with a delicious cilantro, lime and honey basting sauce, which in turn becomes an irresistible sticky glaze, as the chicken cooks on the grill. Only that part’s already done (yes!). Plus the sweetness of grilled corn – also done (double, yes!). Plus a few other ingredients that I like to keep on hand in the freezer (tortillas), fridge (cheese) and pantry (canned black beans). See how easy this is going to be?
In order to have enough leftovers, to make these Chicken Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas for lunch, here’s what you need to do:
Prepare the Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken w/Avocado Salsa for dinner with the following adjustments.
- Grill 1 extra chicken breast (about 225g/4oz) and set aside. No need to increase the amount of basting sauce, there is enough to add 1 or 2 extra chicken breasts.
- Grill 1 extra cob of corn and set aside.
- Chop 1 tablespoon of extra cilantro and set aside.
- Set aside 1 to 2 cups of Avocado Salsa to ensure you have leftovers (optional)
Prepare the Chicken Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas for lunch.
- If you are having lunch at home; let the chicken and corn cool, chop or shred the chicken and remove the corn from the cob. Refrigerate the chicken, corn, chopped cilantro and any leftover avocado salsa in separate airtight containers and prepare the quesadillas at lunch time, the following day. Note: to keep the avocado salsa from turning brown, press clear plastic wrap on the surface of the salsa before covering.
- If you are packing lunches for school and/or work; prepare the quesadillas either first thing in the morning (refrigerating the chicken, corn, cilantro and salsa as above) or right after dinner while everything is still out (my personal preference:), letting the quesadillas cool before packing in individual lunch containers, and refrigerating until the next morning. Divide the leftover salsa equally between four small lunch containers, and pack one container along with each quesadilla.
So, if you really what to up your quesadilla game and add a ton of flavour to this family friendly, all-time favourite meal, I highly recommend using up your leftovers. Not only do you get a delicious healthy home cooked lunch, but you get a lunch for four with very little effort and like I said before, that’s what it’s all about around here.
Looking for more lunches made with leftovers from dinner? Check these out: Spicy Fish Taco Lunch Bowls with Avocado Lime Dressing made using leftovers from Fish Tacos with Coleslaw and Lime Yogurt
- 4 large wheat tortillas
- 1 cup chopped or shredded cooked chicken (about 1 cooked chicken breast), leftover from this Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa dinner) (Note 1)
- 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, jalapeno cheddar or Monterey Jack)
- 1/4 cup corn, fresh, frozen or grilled (from about ½ cob). I used leftover grilled corn from this Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa dinner
- 1/4 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Placed all 4 tortillas on a work surface and over half of each, equally divide the chicken, cheese, beans, corn and cilantro. Fold in half.
- Place quesadillas in a skillet, grill pan or on an outdoor grill over medium high heat, working in batches if necessary, for 1 to 2 minutes per side until cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly and cut into wedges.
- Serve with leftover Avocado Salsa (from this Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa dinner), 5 Minute Salsa and Cheater Guacamole or store bought salsa.