Chicken, Kale and Wild Rice Salad with Dried Cranberries and Toasted Walnuts
There are a lot of things I love about wild rice. Its nutty taste, that adds so much flavour to a dish. Instead of being a background flavor, like white rice, it’s one of the star players in any recipe. Its chewy texture, that holds up so well, in so many dishes, and makes it a perfect candidate for leftovers. And last but not least, the fact that I don’t have to rinse it prior to cooking it, a small point I know, but one that saves me a bit of time in the kitchen.
That’s why, whenever I make this Easy Roasted Chicken with Acorn Squash Salad and Wild Rice for dinner, I cook 1 extra cup of dried rice and roast an extra chicken breast, so that I can make this healthy and hearty rice salad for lunch. I also toast extra walnuts (they are great for snacking on too, so anytime I toast nuts I make extra) and grate extra parmesan cheese. When it comes to taste, the ease of using leftovers for lunch and saving time in the kitchen, this chicken, kale and wild rice salad is a winner (winner, winner)!
If you choose not to make the dinner first, then you can always use leftover chicken from another meal or just roast the chicken and cook 1 cup of wild rice. The maple dijon dressing is a great all purpose dressing, so if you whip up a batch you can use it on any other salads you have throughout the week too. You can find all the recipes here.
But I love using leftovers, because it means I can literally toss this salad together in a matter of minutes, either after dinner, or first thing in the morning and lunch is made, or if you prefer a quick and easy second dinner.
- 3 cups cooked wild rice (leftover from dinner)
- 1 1/4 cups cubed, cooked chicken (one chicken breast leftover from dinner)
- 1 cup torn kale, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup toasted walnut halves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- 1/4 cup Maple Dijon Dressing (leftover from dinner)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl add the rice, chicken, kale, cranberries, walnuts and parmesan cheese and mix to combine.
- Toss with maple dijon dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with more parmesan cheese, if desired.