Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa
Moist-tender chicken grilled in a honey lime basting sauce, resulting in a fabulous glaze that makes me crave this simple, but oh so flavourful dinner, all-the-time. Using common ingredients, found at your local grocery store or local market, this Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa is perfect for an easy weeknight meal or a weekend barbeque with friends.
With a few make ahead steps, this dinner comes together quickly and easily, so you can get dinner on the table quickly on those busy weeknights, those lazy days of summer, or so you can simply spend more time with your guests.
Salting the chicken ahead of time is what makes this chicken so moist and tender, so I highly recommend doing it the night before or first thing in the morning, it is absolutely worth planning ahead for. Plus, I love that I have the option for a few make ahead steps, that can be done at the same time that I am salting the chicken – like making the basting sauce and prepping everything for the grilled corn. With a few of these steps out of the way, getting dinner ready is just a matter of grilling up the chicken and corn, and tossing the salsa together.
This Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa recipe is truly a favourite family dinner in our house. I hope it becomes a favourite in your home too.
This dinner was made with lunch in mind. Reinventing leftovers from dinner is my go-to-way to make fast, fresh and flavorful homemade lunches with very little extra effort, saving time, money and food waste. It’s almost like getting a free lunch.
Check out these lunch ideas made with leftovers from this dinner recipe:
Chicken Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 lime, zest and juice (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 avocados, ripe but still firm, diced
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cobs of corn, husked
- 1/2 cup (1 stick/8 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 lime, zest and juice
- Prepare the chicken: Pat chicken dry with paper towels, place between two sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper and using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound the thicker parts of the chicken to even thickness. Lay chicken on a rack placed on a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle salt evenly over both sides of all chicken pieces. Refrigerate (uncovered) for up to 24 hours, the longer the better, but even half an hour will make a difference. (Note 1)
- Prepare the basting sauce: In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together the honey, oil, soy sauce, zest and juice of 1 lime, cilantro, garlic and crushed red pepper. (Note 1)
- Prepare the corn: center corn on a large sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil. Bring up sides, double fold top and ends to seal, making one large foil packet and leaving room for heat circulation inside. (Note 1)
- Preheat grill for medium high heat, and lightly oil grate.
- Grill the corn and chicken: Place chicken on one side of preheated grill and corn packet on other side, close lid and grill for 5 minutes, turn and baste chicken, close lid and cook for another 5 minutes, turn and baste chicken again. Turn corn. Continue to baste and turn chicken frequently until no longer pink inside and juices run clear (165°F on a meat thermometer).
- Meanwhile prepare the salsa: in a medium size bowl, mix together the avocado, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, zest and juice of 1 lime, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare the garlic lime butter: In a small bowl whisk together until smooth, the butter, garlic, zest and juice of 1/2 lime. (Notes 1 & 2)
- To serve: Place chicken and corn on a serving plate, top chicken with avocado salsa, brush corn with garlic lime butter and sprinkle with salt. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges, if desired.
Note 2: You will not need all of the garlic lime butter, simple cover and refrigerate the extra for another use. Or if you want to get fancy, spoon the extra along the center of a piece of plastic wrap. Roll up and twist the ends to secure. Refrigerate until firm and slice into discs to serve.