Kid Friendly Chili
I love chili. It’s a hearty, wholesome meal that the whole family can enjoy. It’s also easy to cook and makes a large amount, so it is perfect for leftovers or to freeze for another night when schedules are full and time is tight.
This is a mild chili, which makes it well suited for children, but for those who like their chili with a bit more heat, adding crushed red pepper flakes to their individual serving makes this a family friendly recipe too.
Served with a side of whole wheat toast for dipping and setting out some add-ons for everybody to choose from, makes this a fun, healthy meal the whole family can enjoy together.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cans (28 oz each) kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 cans (28 oz each) whole tomatoes (or diced tomatoes)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Brown the ground beef in a large frying pan, over medium high heat, until no longer pink (about 8 minutes).
- Remove the frying pan from the heat and using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked ground beef to a large stock pot.
- Discard all but 2 tbsp of the beef fat remaining in the frying pan and return to medium high heat.
- Saute the onion and green pepper for 5 minutes, add to stockpot with beef.
- Add the tomatoes to the stockpot, including the juice, breaking up the tomatoes with your hands as you add them to the pot.
- Add the kidney beans, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve with whole wheat toast.
Shredded cheddar cheese
A dollop of sour cream/greek yogurt
Sliced or mashed avocado
Crushed red pepper flakes
This chili freezes well, after letting it cool completely, freeze in family size or individual serving size airtight containers and place in the freezer for up to 3 months.