Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches on Grilled Cranberry Raisin Bread
Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are a classic. Kids love them. Teens love them. Adults love them. In fact they are such a classic, that I think parents sometimes feel that they get into a peanut butter sandwich rut. Serving the same old sandwich day in and day out for lunch.
Well, it’s time to take the plain old peanut butter and banana sandwich to the next level, with a touch of honey and grilled cranberry raisin bread. We are fortunate to have so many beautiful artisan breads available to us at local bakery’s and even in our local grocery stores, so why not take advantage of it and reinvent an old favourite.
The dried fruit and whole grains in the bread add so much flavour, the drizzle of honey some sweetness and grilling the bread gives it a nice crunchy texture, with the grill marks dressing this sandwich up. Dressing it up enough in fact, that I would absolutely serve this to weekend guests, especially on day two when I’m usually looking for something delicious, but easy.
So, this holiday season, when you’re on day two (or three) with house guests, this quick and easy sandwich makes a tasty breakfast or brunch, that won’t keep you in the kitchen all day. Which by then will probably feel is where you have been living.
The sandwich is nice made open faced or closed with a second slice of grilled bread and although it might rescue you during the busy holiday season, it’s sure to become a favourite throughout the year, packed in work and school lunches. Closed of course works best for packing it to go:)
- 4 slices cranberry raisin bread (or 8 slices to make closed sandwiches)*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 bananas, sliced into 20-24 slices
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Brush both sides of each bread slice with olive oil.
- On a heated grill pan or BBQ, grill bread over medium high heat, until lightly toasted and grill marks appear, about 2-3 minutes per side.*
- Spread 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on one side of each of 4 slices of grilled bread.
- Top with 5-6 banana slices.
- Drizzle with honey.
- Top with second slice of grilled bread if making closed sandwiches.