Roasted Carrot and Cauliflower Hummus
I love dip recipes that are made with vegetables. There is something about dipping veggies into a veggie filled dip that makes me giddy, not to mention all that flavour and colour that comes from those roasted vegetables. A dip that I call spoon worthy, healthy enough that if the kids (or I) ate it with a spoon, I’d be ok with that. And even though I’ve been know to grab a spoonful here and there, this dip is perfect for scooping with veggies, topping up crackers or flatbread and spreading on sandwiches or wraps.
Usually when I make this hummus recipe, I roast the carrots and cauliflower for dinner, making extra so that I will have enough for the hummus as well. It’s a major time-saver, we get delicious roasted veggies for dinner and with very little extra effort, a dip we can use throughout the week. If that’s the case, then I usually cut the cauliflower into bite size florets and the carrots into sticks like these Roasted Carrots.
But let me give you a little tip, set aside what you need for the hummus before serving the rest for dinner. If your family is anything like mine, roasted carrots and cauliflower rarely get left on the pan:)
- 1/2 cup peeled, chopped carrots (bite size pieces)
- 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower (bite size florets)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup cream cheese (or greek yogurt)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of water
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Place the carrots, cauliflower and garlic clove on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, toss to coat and spread out evenly.
- Roast for 45 minutes, or until very tender.
- Place roasted carrots, cauliflower and garlic in a food processor (or blender) along with the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- If needed, thin with more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you reach the desired consistency (you may need to do this after the dip has been refrigerated).