Yogurt and Fruit Tortilla Cups
These fun mini yogurt and fruit tortilla cups make a healthy snack for kids, but I know the adults in your family, are going to love them too. Although they have the playful look of mini tarts, these tortilla cups are made with whole grain tortillas, plain greek yogurt, sweetened with a touch of honey, and topped with fresh fruit. They make a terrific snack, but are also perfect for a healthy dessert or for a fun, healthy treat at your next party.
The tortilla cups can be made up the day before and stored in an airtight container, so all you have to do is fill them before serving. I’ve filled these ones with yogurt and berries, but they would also be delicious filled with apple sauce and fruit, ice cream with berries and nuts, cottage cheese and peaches or some diced fresh fruit topped with coconut.
Give them a try and have fun playing with new combinations – I’d love to hear which one’s are your favourite!
- 4 large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup (optional)
- 1 cup diced fruit (smaller fruit like blueberries, can be left whole)
- Using a 3" circle biscuit/cookie cutter, cut circles out of the tortillas. I was able to cut 7 circles from each large tortilla.
- Press a tortilla circle into each cup of a 24 mini muffin pan, making sure to gently press the tortilla flat against the bottom and to press the folds against the side. (Warming the tortilla circles makes them easier to work with. Wrap them in foil and pop them in the oven for a couple of minutes while it preheats, to warm them slightly).
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the inside of each tortilla cup with butter and then sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for 7-10 minutes, or until the tortilla cups start to turn a light golden colour around their edges.
- Remove the tortilla cups from the muffin pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the tortilla cups are cooling, mix the yogurt, vanilla and honey together in a bowl.
- Once the tortilla cups are completely cool, divide the yogurt mixture evenly among the tortilla cups and top with some diced fruit.